Spring is right around the corner! I can feel it, even though we still have had some chilly temperatures in the morning. But the days are warming up to around 50° and that means more and more people are starting to work on their landscape. It’s time to clean up, freshen up and start preparing now if you plan on selling this spring.
Here are 4 ways to get your curb appeal ready for the spring selling season.
Start with a good clean-up.
It’s almost impossible to do anything major without first cleaning it up. This means take an overall approach to the landscape and see what needs to be done.
- Rake any dead leaves and limbs away from under shrubs and trees.
- Trim any unruly twigs, trees and shrubs away from the house, walkways and paths.
- Sweep debris from patios, sidewalks and decks.
- Cut back major grasses like Pampas to allow for new growth this summer.
Mow and Trim.
Even just one day of no rain should dry out the lawn enough for a general mow. This will trim all the grass down to the right height, but don’t cut too low. You want the grass to start growing thick and rich so only trim what you need to off the top. Think of it as a haircut; just enough to prompt strong grown without going too low.
Now is a great time to fertilize as you’ll have a month or so of good feeding before you list. Use a healthy dose of nitrogen on the grass to help the green color become vibrant and stimulate new growth while killing moss, crabgrass and clover. A good weed and feed should do the trick.
Also, feed trees and major shrubs right now so they get a good dose of healthy minerals before they start to bud and bloom. This will create more vibrant colors and a healthier root system.
Add only when necessary and put on final touches.
Once the place is clean, see what you can add to enhance the curb appeal. There are many ways to do this:
- Add potted plants to each side of the entryway or door.
- Repaint house trim and/or the front door.
- Add new hardware to the front door.
- Replace or liven up the house numbers.
- Edge walkways and paths.
- Stick to one or two color schemes when adding flowers.
- Add solar lighting to lighten walkways and shine a light on highlighted paths, flowers or even the house itself.
Getting your curb appeal ready for prospective buyers this spring really can start now with a good clean up. Contact me at 248-752-3088 to find out how much your home is worth and the specific things you may need to do before listing to get the most from your sale.